I’ve been sitting on this post for a while as I really wanted to be able to show off this bodysuit to the best of its ability but not show off too much – as you can see, it’s pretty sheer! I’ve debated over sharing the photos or not, as I’m happy to share ones like this on my lingerie blog BCLC, but wasn’t sure about it here. In the end, I decided I’d go for a couple on here (which are towards the end of the post) so you can see what it looks like when worn, but they’re not overly revealing – they’re also not the most artistic or pretty pictures (mirror selfie!) but it shows how it looks on me!
I still haven’t got my “proper” wired bra fit down, but I’m definitely there with the non-wired soft cup Watson bra. My first go at this was all the way back in January last year (can’t believe I’ve been sewing that long, let alone lingerie sewing – I still think I’m a proper beginner!), and I’ve since made a few different incarnations of it including a blue version with white/black polka dot mesh and a bikini version out of scuba fabric. Weirdly though, none have been as successful as my first go, with material being too thin to wear one, not actually water-approved in the bikini and so on. This one though I’d most definitely say is a success!
I bought the “lace” from Sewing Chest back in January, and have had a plan in my head for a lace cupped bodysuit for a while…and on paper actually, but I can’t draw XD I say “lace” with speech marks as I’m not sure it technically is lace – what would you call it?! The daisy mes/little flower pattern on the mesh is super pretty though, so I knew it had to be made into something special. It’s this stretch lace so is perfect for the Watson pattern which requires stretch fabrics.
I used the normal band length pattern for this hack of the Watson bra in my usual 30I size, then added on my own bodysuit pattern. I’d like to say it’s self-drafted, but it’s more self-guessed! I based the body shape and size off a nicely fitting swimsuit I own, which I also used for the swimsuit I made here. I have both the bra pattern and basic bodysuit pattern already traced out with my small adjustments made. This one has a single front piece and single back piece cut on the fold of some black powernet I already have in my stash (from Remnant House in Harrogate). The brief section at the bottom is loosely based around the Watson bikini shape, using the same method for inserting the gusset which I really like (and is the easiest one I’ve tried) but with a different leg opening shape. I also cut an oval cut out into the back panel to make it a little more interesting. To be honest, I would cut this smaller next time as it’s slightly too wide so skews the fit a little.
I didn’t use elastic on the neckline edge of the cup as I decided it would make it look a little bulky, plus the scalloped edge of the lace doesn’t have a raw edge anyway, so it looks fine. It’s probably not recommended to this on all lace, but as this one is a little “firmer” than most, it works.
It was a little tricky trying to make sure I sewed everything in the right order with the right pieces – for example, I wanted the top edge of the body suit enclosed under my elastic, but the elastic I used had a little edge I wanted showing, so I had to make sure it was all sewed in correctly. Fortunately, that turned out well and I think that small detail makes it look more professional.
I did consider adding a bit of decoration, a bow or rosette, at the gore, but decided against it in the end to keep it looking a little more simply and to let the lace stand out on its own.
All in all, I’m really pleased with how it turned out, plus it was pretty simple to do! I’ve tried to trick people by showing them this bodysuit “I got” recently before revealing I made it, and have surprised a few people so I think that’s saying something! Hope you like it!
Now as promised, a couple of pictures of it worn so you can see the fit: